Baseball Nova Scotia will continue to provide membership with updates pertaining to sport. Messaging from Public Health will dictate all decisions and alterations to programming. As the province increases the distribution of vaccines, and the current outbreak is brought under control, our path forward will become clearer.
The organization is still planning for a season this summer. We appreciate the efforts of all volunteers, coaches, and anyone else working to ensure we’re ready to hit the ground running when approved to do so!
Virtual Coach Mentorship Session 1
Throughout 2021, Baseball Nova Scotia will be conducting Virtual Coach Mentorship sessions. Coaches will have the opportunity to listen to a variety of presenters speak about leadership, baseball, and much more. Participants will have the opportunity for conversation and discussions with the presenter and as a group.
Session 1 will feature Andre Lachance! Andre is the Business, Sport Development and Women’s National Team Director for Baseball Canada.
Andre will be discussing Transformational Leadership. From leadership styles to generational realities, this presentation will guide you to leadership that will have a positive impact on your athletes and teams. Learn how to navigate through the different styles that you can use in different contexts while understanding the 11 Must Have any coach should master for a successful experience.
These 1 hour sessions are FREE to BNS coaches and offer Professional Development points towards maintaining NCCP certification!
As the province works together in getting the current COVID situation under control, we still have the opportunity to prepare for the upcoming season. Baseball Nova Scotia will be offering many virtual opportunities to obtain NCCP certification before we get back on the field. All courses will be run multiple times between May 6th-21st. Here is what you need to do:
- Check out the requirements for the division you’re coaching this summer: BNS Coaching Requirements . Please note there may be changes to your division for requirements from previous years.
- Register for the appropriate courses athttps://nccp.baseball.ca/ . New coaches must register first and must complete the Online Initiation module before you can register for our virtual courses.
Some other information to know:
- Initiation and Teaching & Learning will be FREE to BNS member coaches. Other coaches can attend at a cost of $35
- All other virtual courses are $35 per course.
- Safe Sport course is FREE.
- All courses are done via the Zoom platform.
- Coaches will be provided with links to NCCP workbooks prior to the course. It is encouraged coaches print these off prior to the course.
BNS strongly encourages coaches to complete these courses early, and before we get back outside. Please pass along to coaches in your association.
If you have further questions, please contact BNS Technical Director, Cory Boutilier at email@example.com
Women’s NCCP Initiation Course with former National team athlete, Ashley Stephenson!
Former Women’s National Team standout and current Women’s National Team coach Ashley Stephenson will be delivering four Initiation Coach Clinics for women only in the month of May!
Stephenson has been involved with the Women’s National Team program since its inception in 2004 winning seven medals including a silver at the 2015 Pan Am Games. She is extremely passionate about baseball in general but more specifically, about getting girls and women involved in the game!
Baseball Canada’s efforts to grow female participation in baseball includes impacting the game from a coaching perspective and adding more female coaches! This is where Ashley comes in as she will be sharing her passion and baseball expertise during these sessions!
DATES & TIMES:
Sunday May 30 @ 12 PM
- The Initiation Coach Clinic will last for approximately 4 hours
- In order to participate in Ashley’s sessions (Initiation Coach Clinic), participants must have taken the Coach Initiation in Baseball online course available at nccp.baseball.ca.
HOW TO REGISTER:
Already have an account on nccp.baseball.ca?
- Coaches that already have an account at nccp.baseball.ca can register via the “Clinics” tab in your account.
Don’t have an account at nccp.baseball.ca?
- No problem! Please send an email to Baseball Canada’s Michel Landriault (firstname.lastname@example.org) who will provide you with an “access code” that you will use to create an account at nccp.baseball.ca. You will then be able to take the prerequisite course and register, via the “Clinics” tab, for Ashley’s Initiation Coach Clinic.
- There are absolutely NO fees for registrants!
Key Changes to 2021 Calendar of Events
- There will be no mid-point rewrite of the Bluenose schedule. Given the tight timelines, the schedule for the entire summer will be completed during the initial schedule writing at the beginning of June.
- Registration deadline will be June 7th with a league start date of June 21st (pending approval from public health and barring further delays.
- AAA will play its own schedule, while A and AA will be combined for the year. Efforts will be made to load the schedule with games between teams who self identify to be of a certain strength upon registration (I.E AA teams will play the bulk of their games with other AA teams, A teams that identify as being weaker will play more games vs teams that identify as the same strength, etc.)
- Provincial registration dates are moved to July 5th. If non-league teams are still not permitted to participate with league teams, no registrations will be accepted from non-Bluenose League teams.
- BNS will not be able to move teams between the AAA and AA/A divisions during reclassification (should public health measures remain the same)
- Teams will still be sorted into AAA, AA, and A for Provincials. Tiers will also be determined. Deadline for release of tiers is still July 28th.
High Performance Programming
All High Performance programming is suspended until further notice. 13U, 16U Girls, 21U Women, and Senior Women tryouts will commence when sport is permitted to return.
Please note that BNS is aware association teams will need several weeks to complete their tryout processes, so High Performance programs still needing to complete tryouts will be delayed.
Due to not achieving quorum on April 17th, the Baseball Nova Scotia AGM will be rescheduled to May 19th, 7:00 pm via Zoom. If interested in attending, please email email@example.com for the meeting invite.
Members are invited and encouraged to attend!
Please see the following agenda:
- Call to Order
- Establishment of Quorum
- Approval of the Agenda
- Approval of Minutes from Previous AGM
- Business Arising from the Previous Minutes
- Executive & Board Reports
- Approval of Financial Statements
- Consideration of any new business
- Election of Executive positions
Register to be an umpire for the 2021 season!
Registration rates are: Level 1 and 2 – $70.00, Level 3 – $100
- Complete your online learning modules as assigned to your user profile based on your level.
- We will NOT be holding in person positioning/ practical umpiring clinics at this time. We are moving to interactive ZOOM sessions – dates and time below. Taking one of these sessions is mandatory for NEW umpires and strongly recommended for all returning umpires. We need to limit each ZOOM session to a maximum of 90 participants. The ZOOM sessions are now on the webpage under “Clinics”. We will look to add more sessions as we get closer to the start of the season, if needed.
May 22nd – 9am to approximately 11am
May 29th – 9am to approximately 11am
If you have any, please reach out via email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Diamond Dawgs and the Field of Dreams Grant
The Dartmouth Diamond Dawgs were recently named a recipient of this year’s Field of Dreams contest from the Jays Care Foundaton.
The Dimaond Dawgs (based in Dartmouth) won a $25,000 grant to upgrade a baseball facility. The Jays Care foundation made the announcement on Rogers Sportsnet prior to a Blue Jays telecast.
The Diamond Dawgs will use the money to improve the dugouts, wheelchair accessibility and overall conditions at Penhorn Field in Dartmouth.
Jake Sanford starts MiBL Season with Yankees Low-A affiliate Tampa Tarpons
After a lost 2020 season to COVID, Jake Sanford of Dartmouth will be back on the field with the Yankees Low-A MiBL team, the Tampa Tarpons.